Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Carpe Diem Modern Times Haiku #3 Jerry Kilbride (1930-2005)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

What a joy to present a new episode of our Tuesday feature "Carpe Diem Modern Times Haiku". This week I have a male haiku poet who sadly already has gone to heaven. His name is Jerry Kilbride (1930-2005). I couldn't find a brief biography of him, so I will give you a link to read more about him after the haiku which I have chosen to share here.

still in the taste
of afternoon tea . . .
my grandmother's brogue

the cool surface
of each potato planted -
dark of the moon

firecrackers,
the old soldier's fingers
tighten on his crutch

the wheelchair child
reaches for bubbles
she just blew


© Jerry Kilbride (1930-2005)

A biography of Jerry Kilbride you can find in: The "Bulletin"of the Californian State Library Foundation (Number 84 - 2006 pages 17-22) It's a nice story with a lot of information about Jerry Kilbride and lots of photos. 


Jerry Kilbride (1930-2005)

As you all know the goal is to write an all new haiku or tanka, or another Japanese poetry form, inspired on one (or more) haiku given above. I however wasn't inspired so I pass this time. Maybe I will come up with something later. Than I will link up.

!!! By the way: During lack of time I wasn't able to publish our anonymous list for our third kukai "juxtaposition" I hope to publish it later this week. Sorry !!!

This episode of Modern Times Haiku is open at noon (CET) and will remain open until next Tuesday September 1st at noon (CET). Have fun!


2 comments:

  1. Interesting brief on Jerry Kilbride (1930-2005); thanks for the link

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a distinctive style of writing.
    You are giving us a taste of so many interesting haiku poets.

    ReplyDelete