Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Carpe Diem #1181 broken heart


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Another day in haiku and tanka paradise ... Today I have a beautiful poem by Hafiz, the most loved poet of Persia. Every Persian (Iranian), old and young, can at least recite one poem written by him. Hafiz is renown all around the world and that makes him the most important and renown Persian poet ever.

I hvae chosen to make it myself easy today. So I will give you only the poem by Hafiz and than you can go ... create your own haiku or tanka inspired on the poem by Hafiz, or maybe a ghazal or Sijo.

This poem is titled: I've Said It Before and I'll Say It Again and is extracted from: Drunk on the Wind of the Beloved in a translation by Thomas Rain Crowe.

Broken Heart
And here is the poem by Hafiz to inspire you:

I've Said It Before and I'll Say It Again

I've said it before and I'll say it again:
It's not my fault that with a broken heart, I've gone this way.

In front of a mirror they have put me like a parrot,
And behind the mirror the Teacher tells me what to say.

Whether I am perceived as a thorn or a rose, it's
The Gardener who has fed and nourished me day to day.

O friends, don't blame me for this broken heart;
Inside me there is a great jewel and it's to the Jeweler's shop I go.

Even though, to pious, drinking wine is a sin,
Don't judge me; I use it as a bleach to wash the color of hypocrisy away.

All that laughing and weeping of lovers must be coming from some other place;
Here, all night I sing with my winecup and then moan for You all day.

If someone were to ask Hafiz, "Why do you spend all your time sitting in
The Winehouse door?," to this man I would say, "From there, standing,
I can see both the Path and the Way.

© Hafiz (Tr. Thomas Rain Crowe)

And this is my attempt to create a tanka based on this poem:

roses
broken in the bud
trembled love
you left me alone
and broke my heart

© Chèvrefeuille

This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7:00 PM (CET) and will remain open until April 2nd at noon (CET). I will publish our new episode, drop of rain, later on. For now .... have fun!



1 comment: